[arch-general] Slim login manager is logging everything

Mauro Santos registo.mailling at gmail.com
Sat Jun 19 21:43:06 EDT 2010

On 06/19/2010 08:01 PM, Ananda Samaddar wrote:
> I'm using Slim as my login manager and it's logging absolutely
> everything.  Things like gstreamer and alsa errors.  This is making the
> log file huge, of the order of 8 gb when compressed.  Can anyone think
> of a solution?  I could always use the hack of putting the logfile
> in /tmp but I don't want to do that.  /var is not on a separate
> partition and I'm not prepared to re-partition my system.  Obviously
> with such large logfiles I'm getting performance issues.
>
> I'm an XFCE user so I'd like to avoid kdm and gdm. Are are there any
> other alternative X11 login apps other than xdm that don't depend on
> GNOME or KDE if I can't fix my issue with Slim?
>
> thanks,
>
> Ananda

I'm not using a login manager, I do an auto-login after I input my
username and password from tty1. I do that by checking from which tty I
am starting and issuing a startx if it is tty1 (not my idea, I've seen
that in the forums). However I've done a few modifications, the one that
might be able to help you is that I do a 'startx > /dev/null'.

This is really needed, otherwise some programs will mysteriously fail to
work. The thing here is that you should try to find the place where slim
writes to the log and redirect it to /dev/null instead of the log file
and your problem should be solved. Maybe easier said than done but I
guess you welcome any idea :p

--
Mauro Santos