[arch-general] Important notice on the Arch Security Team to the whole Arch Linux community.

Ananda Samaddar ananda at samaddar.co.uk
Tue Jun 22 09:37:45 EDT 2010

On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 13:16:23 +1000
"Allan McRae" <allan at archlinux.org> wrote:

> The point is that the developers around here already patch for
> security issues.  The only change that I think that a security team
> will achieve is to notify me (as a developer) of issues that I have
> overlooked on the upstream mailing lists and file a bug report.  It
> is a bonus if the issue is pre-analyzed for me and all relevant links
> supplied so I can assess it quickly myself and release a fixed
> package if I deem that being suitable.
>
> Allan

This is exactly what we plan to do, with the addition of providing
interim PKGBUILDs (with a disclaimer that they are unofficial) and
announcements when a security related bug is fixed by a package update.
Such interim PKGBUILDs would be peer-reviewed by the Security Team and
submitted with the relevant bug report to aid the package maintainer. I
can't see how this is not useful.  It will also lighten the workloads
of the devs and package maintainers.

Ananda