[arch-general] Why no phonon in Qt

Shridhar Daithankar ghodechhap at ghodechhap.net
Sun Jun 27 22:53:39 EDT 2010

Hello,

I have removed flash after the latest problem with x86_64 release and I want
to get youtube working ASAP.

To that end, I downloaded nightly sources of webkit(not wanting to download
the entire svn checkout) and built the qt port. However the video element is
still missing, as tested on http://html5test.com.

Digging into webkit build system, I discovered that it has disabled
video/audio element support for qt port because the installed qt does not
support phonon.

from http://repos.archlinux.org/wsvn/packages/qt/repos/extra-i686/PKGBUILD,
phonon support is explicitly disabled during qt build.

I searched around but could not find a reason for the same. I really do not
want to build(more importantly maintain) my own qt build.

So why is phonon support disabled in Qt?

--
Regards
 Shridhar