[arch-general] Bashification of initscripts for moderate speedup

Victor Lowther victor.lowther at gmail.com
Tue Jun 29 12:44:39 EDT 2010

On Jun 29, 2010, at 9:27 AM, Dan McGee <dpmcgee at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 8:20 AM, Victor Lowther
> <victor.lowther at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Jun 29, 2010, at 5:55 AM, solsTiCe d'Hiver <solstice.dhiver at gmail.com
>> >
>> wrote:

>>> Yes. I definitely agree. We have to pray that a dev is interested
>>> in the
>>> patch now ;-)
>>
>> Thomas seemed moderatly interested.
>>
>>> @Victor:
>>> You last commit that is supposed to fix whitespace mess in fact
>>> create a
>>> mess with whitespace. Also it changes all the modelines for vim:
>>> for example from
>>> # vim: set ft=sh sw=2 ts=2 et:
>>> # vim: set ft=sh sw=4 ts=4 et:
>>
>> When it comes to whitespace, I do whatever indent-region and
>> whitespace-cleanup tell me to.
>
> Which is change the modelines? No thanks.
>
> http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/DeveloperWiki:Bash_Coding_Style

I know we are getting into holy war territory here, but:

Overall, they are sane, except for using tabs vs. spaces (at least
with spaces it is never ambiguous how far you wanted a given indent to
be in a world where tab does not always map to a set number of
spaces), and 8 character indentation (leads to excessive horizontal
scrolling in any moderatly complex nested flow control situation. I
prefer 4 space indentation, it tends to align nicely with most flow
control statements), and using the source keyword instead of . to
source files (personal preference from also maintaining a package
written in posix sh).

We might want to steal some content from http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide/Practices
  to update the Arch bash coding page.