[arch-general] makepkg creates symlink to the package file

C Anthony Risinger anthony at extof.me
Tue Jun 29 13:38:43 EDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 12:26 PM, Ray Kohler <ataraxia937 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 1:20 PM, C Anthony Risinger <anthony at extof.me> wrote:

>>> Thanks for this information. It seems that at no point it was thought about a
>>> config variable and therefore we have to live with it.
>>
>> this is all fine and dandy to me. however one little bug:
>>
>> PKGDEST="." makepkg
>>
>> will fail due the the fact that the real package will be overridden by
>> the symlink.  result is a circular symbolic link.  makepkg should
>> check for this [corner] case, and simply not create the link.
>>
>> i needed this for a script that automatically builds a package with
>> the option to install and/or push to AUR.  i wanted to sandbox it so
>> it would not be affected by the user's makepkg.conf settings.
>>
>> workaround by making a dummy folder called "out" and sending the
>> package there instead.
>
> Wouldn't just setting PKGDEST to nothing instead of "." cover this?

beh, i thought you were onto something... i didn't look at the makepkg
sources, but it is treating PKGDEST='"" as if it was never set.  so,
no dice :-(

however, if i use an absolute path (instead of ".") it works alright.
in fact, i seem to have general problems with trying to use relative
paths as PKGDEST:

==> ERROR: You do not have write permission to store packages in ./pkg/out.
    Aborting...

but i do of course.

C Anthony