[arch-general] Why no phonon in Qt

Shridhar Daithankar ghodechhap at ghodechhap.net
Wed Jun 30 02:32:28 EDT 2010

On Monday 28 June 2010 19:11:09 Peter Lewis wrote:
> > if memory serves correct from gentoo days it has to do with qt phonon
> > an kde phonon stepping on each others toes... however it might be for
> > different reasons in arch.
>
> No idea really, but a quick query tells me that phonon is provided as a
> separate package:
>
> % pacman -Qs phonon
> local/phonon 4.4.2-1
>     The multimedia API for KDE4
> local/phonon-gstreamer 4.4.2-1
>     Phonon Gstreamer backend
>
> So I'm guessing that you could rebuild Qt with phonon and remove the
> standalone phonon package(s) - but that might break other things that this
> approach is designed to make work.

attached is a pkgbuild diff for qt that builds qt with phonon. I had to remove
phonon, phonon-xine and phonon-gstreamer using --nodeps.

I also created a symlink /usr/lib/kde4/plugins/phonon_backend pointing to
/usr/lib/qt/plugins/phonon_backend/

I also installed gstreamer good/bad/ugly plugins.

After this, webkit built the video support and html5test reports mpeg4/h.264
but no webm. I can play videos from tinyvid.tv too(which are ogv format). but
this build of webkit crashes way too many times with the NP-Initialize error.
So I am not using this for the moment.

Youtube still does not work for some reason. I thought h.264 should work with
that.

juk works so basic phonon support is working but control center disappears
after clicking on multimedia. The error logged is

symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/kde4/kcm_phonon.so: undefined symbol:
_ZNK6Phonon12GlobalConfig19hideAdvancedDevicesEv

So I guess things are not fully ok and it would require kdelibs rebuild too.

I am now back to webkit bundled with Qt. I guess it will be sometime before
things work as expected with a webkit based browser.

--
Regards
 Shridhar