[arch-general] Xorg 1.8, Nvidia 6200 Videoseven monitor

Peter Cannon dick_turpin at archlinux.us
Wed Jun 30 04:38:39 EDT 2010

Hi All

I have a Videoseven 19" monitor L19FM and an Nvidia 6200 graphics card
the monitor's capabilities are never recognised properly by any Linux
distribution so usually I use the Nvidia-settings tool.

I have upgraded to Xorg release 1.8 to do so I had to remove the
Nvidia-173xx driver and installed xf86-video-nv. X bombs out with the
xorg.conf file in place (/etc/X11) so I moved the xorg.conf file to
xorg.conf.old and X will start but only in 800x600 This is my
/var/log/xor.0.log http://www.pastebin.org/367717

I tried putting my original xorg.conf http://www.pastebin.org/367716 in
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ as 20-nvidia.conf obviously changing the devices
sections to "nv" rather than "nvidia" I get an "Out of range" message on
the monitor, black screen but I wouldn't say X has bombed as such.
Usually this means the refresh is wrong however as the information in
the file used to work under nvidia-173xx I cant see that its that.

I have HAL and udev in the daemons array of rc.conf I also use GDM which
again is in the list of daemons.

Any help would be appreciated.