[arch-general] help unravelling dmesg

aerospace1028 at hotmail.com aerospace1028 at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 30 14:52:58 EDT 2010

I was wondering if someone might be able to explain this to me.  I was reading the output from dmesg, and found the following entry.

CONFIG_NF_CT_ACCT is deprecated and will be removed soon. Please use
nf_conntrack.acct=1 kernel parameter, acct=1 nf_conntrack module option or
sysctl net.netfilter.nf_conntrack_acct=1 to enable it.

I'm still learning my way around as far as system administration goes.  I'm not familiar with nf_conntrack.  I tried adding net.netfilter.nf_conntrack_acct=1
to the end of my /etc/sysctl.conf file, but the messagestill persisted after re-boot.

Can anyone point me to an explination

(A) what the message means?

(B) if I need to worry about it?

(C) how to activate nf_conntrack_acct if I so choose?

I'm not doing anything fancy  here, just running arch on a laptop.  As I said, I'm still learning, but not apposed to expanding my limitte knowledge of
linux.