[arch-general] Bashification of initscripts for moderate speedup

aerospace1028 at hotmail.com aerospace1028 at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 30 15:05:19 EDT 2010

>Message: 9
>Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 18:48:37 +0200
>From: Philipp ?berbacher <hollunder at lavabit.com>
>Subject: Re: [arch-general] Bashification of initscripts for moderate
>speedup
>To: arch-general <arch-general at archlinux.org>
>
>Excerpts from Aaron Griffin's message of 2010-06-30 17:55:40 +0200:
>> >
>> > should be 78 columns I do believe that's the standard for kernel/git
>> > it allows for email comments more easily apparently.
>>
>> No, physical terminals went to 80 columns. The 78 number was likely
>> related to editor chrome, such as line numbering... I'm not sure of
>> the details.
>>
>> I believe email typically has 78 width due to the fact that "> " is
>> expected for replies.
>
>I also read about 72, and it's my current setting for vim when editing
>mails, but I have no idea where that comes from...

I'm not sure if this helps or not.

When i learned the fortran 77 standard, it utilized columns 7-72, anything in column 1 signified a comment, col 2-5 were reserved for labels, col 6 marked a continuation line, and columns 73-80 had significance I can't recall.  The strict layout had historical significance related to punch-cards, which I believe ran 80 columns wide.

The f90 standard I believe expanded the usable codespace to 132 columns, but I'm not sure exactly how that number became astandard.

I think the punch-card thing might be where the 80 column value comes from though.  I'm just not sure which is the chicken and which the egg.