[arch-general] Blacklisting of modules

mb mb0815 at gmx.net
Tue Mar 2 05:14:49 EST 2010

Hi folks,

After initscripts' update I noticed that the modules, being blacklisted in
rc.conf, were loaded. I tinkered around a bit (extended rc.sysinit with
calls to lsmod) and found out, that udev loads most of the modules
(rtc-Modules are loaded before, modules for hdd-access come from the
init-ramdisk, cpufreq-modules are not loaded) in rc.sysinit lines 78 to 84.
As far as I'm able to understand the code (I used grep to look for
occurences of MODULES) udev has no knowledge of the MODULES array, so all
modules are loaded. Therefore blacklisting in rc.conf would be useless.
Switching the MOD_AUTOLOAD flag changed nothing at all for me, so it seems
to be useless as well.
I then created appropriate foobar-blacklist.conf files in /etc/modprobe.d/
to blacklist the modules. This approach worked for most modules, but
pcspkr, wmi, sg,  snd_seq_oss and snd_pcm_oss are still being loaded.
I already opened a thread in the bulletin board [1] but got no useful
hints / explanations.

Best Regards
Markus

[1] http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=91737