[arch-general] groupmod / pam bug - Arch hit by http://bugs.gentoo.org/300790

Rogutės Sparnuotos rogutes at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 2 05:35:24 EST 2010

David C. Rankin (2010-03-01 17:03):
> On 03/01/2010 12:32 PM, jwbirdsong wrote:
> >> Quick Question:
> >>
> >>    How do we change group information while this bug is there? Do we
> >> disable pam
> >> or do we just edit /etc/group in the interim?
> >>

> > Patch shadow your self w/ aforementioned gentoo patch.   works fine
> > after building w/ the patch.
>
> Will do,
>
> 	In the interim, and I know there will be howls against doing it, but I simply
> edited /etc/passwd and /etc/group and set the gid to what I needed. Worked fine.
> /etc/shadow doesn't appear to hold any group information so I think I found all
> the needed files. Right now it is just a one user system and subsequent to the
> gid change, I added the group that needed the gid with groupadd and it worked
> like a champ. Anybody see any "you just broke this -- stupid..." issues?

Most probably, editing /etc/group and ignoring /etc/gshadow won't break
anything if you're not using group passwords (are these used by anybody?).

But I would keep /etc/group and /etc/gshadow synchronized anyway. You can
use /usr/sbin/vigr to edit these files by hand.

If you have a working cron, you might get an e-mail telling you about
problems. Try to run this as root (and look at the file contents):
$ /etc/cron.daily/shadow