[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] initscripts hack-a-thon?

Xavier Chantry chantry.xavier at gmail.com
Tue Mar 2 17:29:12 EST 2010

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 11:40 AM, Pierre Schmitz <pierre at archlinux.de> wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 2. März 2010 09:39:19 schrieb Thomas Bächler:
>> Personally, I would like to
>> remove everything but basic ethernet support from initscripts (that
>> would also include removing wireless, but some people were too strictly
>> against that). What I am saying is, investing time into integrating more
>> network stuff into initscripts is time wasted, as complex setups like
>> bonding or bridging can be much better implemented in netcfg and the
>> work should be spent on that instead.
>
> I second this. We should concentrate on netcfg for network setup in future.
> Initscripts will just get too complicated (e.g. they don't support ipv& atm)
> while the same functionality is already provided by another package n core.
>
> I would even completely remove the network and netfs deamon from initscripts;
> but I guess there wont be much support for this. :-)

I was saying that already back in 2007, took me just one minute to
find the post :)
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=274397#p274397

Here is what iphitus answered :
"Profiles came after INTERFACES, and INTERFACES will definitely not be
removed. Many people still find them useful, particularly on desktops
with static configurations - myself even. I do intend to increase the
code share between these two, as there's a lot of duplication already,
but that'll come later."