[arch-general] Daemon No Longer Writes To Logs

Carlos Williams carloswill at gmail.com
Wed Mar 3 09:22:27 EST 2010

I was looking at '/var/log/mail.log' which is the default location
Postfix MTA writes everything it does to. I was sadly in that file
using Vim and deleted the last line. I didn't restore the removed line
and simply saved the file. I noticed now that the Postfix daemon no
longer writes anything to the log file since I edited it. No
permissions have changed at all. It's still in the same location and
owned by the same UID/GID.

Code:

-rw-r----- 1 root log 189 Mar  3 08:37 mail.log

I can see that Postfix is however logging everything under
'/var/log/everything.log'

Anyone know how to fix this? I am worried I broke Postfix but mail is
still flowing and I get no errors at all from Postfix. It's just not
writing to 'mail.log' any longer.