[arch-general] Daemon No Longer Writes To Logs

Ray Kohler ataraxia937 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 3 10:43:31 EST 2010

On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 10:33 AM, Carlos Williams <carloswill at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 10:22 AM, Ray Kohler <ataraxia937 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I don't think Postfix writes its own log files, but uses syslog to do
>> it. You should probably be debugging syslog-ng instead. A simple
>> SIGHUP might fix it.
>
> What is 'SIGHUP'? I have never debugged 'Syslog' before. :(

The standard Unix "HUP" (hang-up) signal. Most daemons will reload
their configs and do other appropriate things if they get such a
signal. I suggest you do "pkill -1 syslog-ng" as root and see if stuck
logs come out. That's equivalent to what logrotate does after rolling
your logs each week, to tell syslog-ng that it changed the files
around.