[arch-general] Automounting internal devices in Gnome

Flavio Costa flavio.cdc at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 17:29:55 CET 2010

Hi,

Before Gnome 2.28 (I've been using Arch since 2.22, I guess), Gnome used to
be able to mount my internal devices (in this case some NTFS partitions I
have, and yes use Windows sometimes...) automatically (I just had to grant a
permission on a neat GTK interface).
I guess that magic used to happen due to a set of softwares working
together, those being HAL, DBus, PolicyKit and Gnome.

When Gnome 2.28 came out (and also devicekit-*, the replacement of policykit
with polkit and the deprecation of HAL) this neat magic dissapeared and I've
looked for many solutions in the forums or in others places but I couldn't
found one.

Everytime I want to use those extra NTFS partitions, I have to manually
click one the "Places" menu and select the device, after clicking I'm
prompted for my root password. I type it and the disk is mounted.
But that's boring (all my musics are stored on the NTFS partition, so
everytime I want to listen to them I have to do this).

I even managed to supress the prompting for the password but I believe that
due to some update that stopped working.

$ cat /etc/polkit-1/localauthority.conf.d/61-custom.conf

[Automount Devices]

Identities=unix-group:storage

Action=org.freedesktop.devicekit.disks.*

ResultActive=yes

ResultAny=no

ResultInactive=no

The above doesn't work anymore (I have to enter the password everytime).

So despite of fstab, does anyone knows the solution or a workaround for this
problem?

--
Flávio Coutinho da Costa