[arch-general] top posting

Linas linas_fi at ymail.com
Thu Mar 4 17:37:45 CET 2010

Aaron Griffin wrote:
> However, this is a mailing list. Not everyone is aware of the "state"
> of the list at any given time. It's best to bottom post and only
> reference relevant material so that even someone coming upon the 15th
> email in a chain is able to read just that email and understand it for
> the most part. If the 15th email just said "Yeah, that's a good idea"
> then everyone is confused

And if it's a lengthy email, it doesn't make clear /which/ of the
multiple ideas
layed there is a good (bad) one. In such cases you should try to do an
"inline reply", placing the original text / paragraph, and your reply.
Repeat for each piece of text you have something to say about.

If there are old emails not relevant, trim them. Eg. originally I got
three email
levels here:  Juan Diego ->Patrick Burroughs -> Aaron Griffin

Since my answer pertains just to this last one (even though it's still
related to
Juan Diego's question!), I'm leaving only the last paragraph from
Aaron's (I
could as well kept his whole mail).

Wikipedia also has a nice article about this: