[arch-general] Problems with mkinitcpio

Ihad ihad at d-tor.org
Fri Mar 5 23:45:10 CET 2010

Hi,

On Friday 05 March 2010 23:31:25 Thomas Bächler wrote:
> Am 05.03.2010 23:12, schrieb Ihad:
> > Maybe this is more suitable for arch-dev, but I hope that the devs also
> > read here. Let me know if I should redirect this to arch-dev-public.
>
> arch-dev-public is read-only for non-developers.

Ok, noted :)

[snip]

> Some rules with respect to IDE devices were in fact removed in a
> previous udev version. In fact, almost nobody still uses the IDE
> subsystem, most(!) drivers work better with the ATA subsystem these days.
>
> However, these "standard" nodes should still be created, there should be
> no special udev rules required for them. I am a bit unsure how to debug
> this. Are the device nodes created when root is mounted and Arch is
> booted? Are they created when you boot with the break=y option and wait
> for a while?

I didn't try break=y, but they definitely aren't created by udev, no matter
what I do. I have a custom kernel (2.6.30) with the ide drivers compiled in,
and even then I don't get the device nodes. I have to create them manually and
then mount the needed devices to get a working system.

The custom kernel has RAID autodetect compiled in, so I get my root fs, and I
also have md0 and md1 but nothing more. No hd[a-f][0-2]. On top of the RAID is
LVM, so after:
# lvm
> vgmknodes
> quit
Then I can mount /var to recreate the initrd and reinstall the kernel and
regenerate the initrd.

What does break=y do, btw? I'm too lazy too look it up myself :)

> I am wondering if we can somehow monitor the uevents at this early stage
> of the boot process to see what goes wrong.

Hmm, I don't really have an idea about that, except looking at the source...

--
Regards,

Ihad.