[arch-general] Problems with mkinitcpio

Ihad ihad at d-tor.org
Sat Mar 6 00:15:03 CET 2010

Hi,

On Friday 05 March 2010 23:56:05 Thomas Bächler wrote:
> Am 05.03.2010 23:45, schrieb Ihad:
> > The custom kernel has RAID autodetect compiled in, so I get my root fs,
> > and I also have md0 and md1 but nothing more. No hd[a-f][0-2]. On top of
> > the RAID is LVM, so after:
> > # lvm
> >
> >> vgmknodes
> >> quit
> >
> > Then I can mount /var to recreate the initrd and reinstall the kernel and
> > regenerate the initrd.
>
> I'm confused, really, I see no reason why the devices shouldn't be
> there. Maybe after some sleep.

The nodes definitely aren't there. I had the same problem after an udev update
and a custom kernel, but that was another box with sata. It turned out to be
PEBKAC, or at least close to it. In the end it was a non working mdassemble in
/bin, which shouldn't be there. That's not the problem. though, I checked that
for sure :)

<german>
	Gute Nacht.
</german>

> > What does break=y do, btw? I'm too lazy too look it up myself :)
>
> It interrupts the initramfs before root is mounted and drops you into a
> shell. A good way to poke around if you want to.

Ok, no need for that. If I boot a non-working kernel, it drops me of in a
busybox, and I checked, the devices aren't there.

> > Hmm, I don't really have an idea about that, except looking at the
> > source...
>
> There is udevadm monitor - we could start that very early and redirect
> the output into a file inside rootfs. Then, we kill it and look at the
> file. Not sure if that will work well, haven't tried it.

How early? Maybe keeping the ramdisk mounted helps. This way udevadm monitor
could write its results do /somewhere. I did that with  images having a
defined size, creating a container with an ext2 fs and then mount it rw. If
it's big enough we can see the results after booting. But I don't know if it
works with cpio-archives...

--
Regards,

Ihad.