[arch-general] svn packaging, abs => git ?

Dieter Plaetinck dieter at plaetinck.be
Sun Mar 7 12:03:08 CET 2010

Couldn't find any discussion about this,
but what about we maintain our packages in git instead of svn?

pros:
1) git is awesome
2) we don't need abs/rsync anymore. users can just read from git.
3) git network communication is more efficient then rsync (afaik)
4) users can check out older versions of packages easily, with
limited storage overhead.
5) makes it easier to maintain forks of packages (have your
own git repository with some changes, then merge in upstream changes to
keep them up to date. upstream == arch linux here)

cons:
1) using git for abs will use more disk space because you need the
checkout + the repo (a 60% or increase or so? my abs tree is now 57MB,
so even if this becomes 100MB that's still ok imho)
2) svn->git migration is not trivial, since tools, the website, .. will
need to be adapted.

Dieter