[arch-general] svn packaging, abs => git ?

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Sun Mar 7 14:49:01 CET 2010

Am 07.03.2010 12:03, schrieb Dieter Plaetinck:
> Couldn't find any discussion about this,
> but what about we maintain our packages in git instead of svn?
>
> pros:
> 1) git is awesome
> 2) we don't need abs/rsync anymore. users can just read from git.
> 3) git network communication is more efficient then rsync (afaik)
> 4) users can check out older versions of packages easily, with
> limited storage overhead.
> 5) makes it easier to maintain forks of packages (have your
> own git repository with some changes, then merge in upstream changes to
> keep them up to date. upstream == arch linux here)

This comes up every month at least (not necessarily on the mailing list,
but somewhere) and people always say "use git" without even thinking how
that would work - so far, nobody has ever presented a workflow that
would match our packaging requirements and was based on git. We don't
use SVN for fun - using SVN is everything but fun.

1) We want to be able to see which PKGBUILD matches the package in the
repository. In SVN, we use copy - which is subversion's equivalent to
branching: By copying, you create a reference and all history of the
copied file is still there. In git, copying means that the copy has no
history, it is entirely unrelated to the original. The only equivalent
in git would be branching - but you cannot branch a single file or path,
you can only branch the entire tree.
2) Partial checkouts and commits: We check out single directories and
most importantly we commit to single directories without updating the
rest of the repository. These operations come naturally to SVN, but they
are against the very concept of git.

The only viable solution I could think of is using one git repository
per package - and that is just crazy.