[arch-general] KDE 4.4 + pnm2ppa + CUPS

Lars Tennstedt oss at larstennstedt.de
Sun Mar 7 16:40:30 CET 2010

On 01/03/2010 10:38 AM, Lars Tennstedt wrote:

> On 01/03/2010 02:11 AM, Arvid Picciani wrote:
>> On 01/02/2010 09:20 PM, Lars Tennstedt wrote:
>>>
>>> Qt4 applications behave like KDE4 applications. The printer recognizes
>>> the job and all it prints is a blank paper, sometimes with headline but
>>> always without the body.
>>
>> Does the same failure appear when printing to pdf?
>> Also please try the following test:
>>
>> cd /tmp/
>> mkdir bla
>> cd bla
>> wget http://codepad.org/UggpuBz4/raw.cpp
>> qmake -project
>> qmake
>> make
>> ./bla
>>

>> and tell if it prints "Hello world" as expected.
>> If not, please try a clean not downstream patched version of qt
>> ( heresy has unfortunately only 4.6.0 as arch package, which according
>> to arch devs breaks kde right now.
>> http://hereticlinux.org/repo/i686/qt-4.6.0-3-i686.pkg.tar.gz )
>>
>> finally, if that fails, please report a bug upstream, including your
>> detailed cups setup and the above testcase.
>> http://bugreports.qt.nokia.com
>>
>> thanks
>>

> On 01/03/2010 02:11 AM, Arvid Picciani wrote:
>  > On 01/02/2010 09:20 PM, Lars Tennstedt wrote:
>  >>
>  >> Qt4 applications behave like KDE4 applications. The printer recognizes
>  >> the job and all it prints is a blank paper, sometimes with headline but
>  >> always without the body.
>  >
>  > Does the same failure appear when printing to pdf?
>  > Also please try the following test:
>  >
>  > cd /tmp/
>  > mkdir bla
>  > cd bla
>  > wget http://codepad.org/UggpuBz4/raw.cpp
>  > qmake -project
>  > qmake
>  > make
>  > ./bla
>  >
>  >
>  > and tell if it prints "Hello world" as expected.
>  > If not, please try a clean not downstream patched version of qt
>  > ( heresy has unfortunately only 4.6.0 as arch package, which according
>  > to arch devs breaks kde right now.
>  > http://hereticlinux.org/repo/i686/qt-4.6.0-3-i686.pkg.tar.gz )
>  >
>  > finally, if that fails, please report a bug upstream, including your
>  > detailed cups setup and the above testcase.
>  > http://bugreports.qt.nokia.com
>  >
>  > thanks
>  >

> Hello,
>
> printing from Scribus (Qt4) to ps works correctly and from Kate (KDE4)
> to pdf also does.
>

> I have the feeling that it has something to do with pnm2ppa. My printer
> is a HP DeskJet 710C. It seems that Qt has problems with printers that
> need the pnm2ppa layer.

> [...]

Hello,

I want to report about the situation again.

Nothing has changed with the release of KDE SC 4.4.1 and Qt 4.6. The
printing from KDE or Qt applications works only in rare cases.

Kate prints only the header including the date but not the body of a
text file, Okular often prints pdf documents without graphics and
Gwenview has never printed any pixel of an image file on my system. In
every case the printer behaved commonly excepting the result on the paper.

On the other side printing from KDE or Qt applications to pdf or ps
works as expected, also for normal printing from GNOME and GTK
applications and from OpenOffice, Firefox and Thunderbird.

Bye
Lars