[arch-general] svn packaging, abs => git ?

Stefan Husmann stefan-husmann at t-online.de
Sun Mar 7 19:51:30 CET 2010

Am 07.03.2010 12:03, schrieb Dieter Plaetinck:
> Couldn't find any discussion about this,
> but what about we maintain our packages in git instead of svn?
>
> pros:
> 1) git is awesome

That is a personal opinion, not an argument.

> 2) we don't need abs/rsync anymore. users can just read from git.
Users would have to learn git commands.
> 3) git network communication is more efficient then rsync (afaik)
Maybe, I do not know.
> 4) users can check out older versions of packages easily, with
> limited storage overhead.
Do you want to store binary packages in the git repo? Maybe I misunderstand you.
Checking out older PKGBUILDs would  be doable in svn also, I guess.
> 5) makes it easier to maintain forks of packages (have your
> own git repository with some changes, then merge in upstream changes to
> keep them up to date. upstream == arch linux here)
>
> cons:
> 1) using git for abs will use more disk space because you need the
> checkout + the repo (a 60% or increase or so? my abs tree is now 57MB,
> so even if this becomes 100MB that's still ok imho)
> 2) svn->git migration is not trivial, since tools, the website, .. will
> need to be adapted.
>
> Dieter

We should not do that. git imho is by far to complicated for end users to use.
Lets keep it easy.

Regards Stefan