[arch-general] svn packaging, abs => git ?

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Tue Mar 9 17:17:24 CET 2010

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 6:16 AM, Dieter Plaetinck <dieter at plaetinck.be> wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 18:04:50 -0600
> Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I agree with everyone else that's said it. This comes up often enough
>> but no one ever has a good workflow that works. I have seen nothing
>> proposed in this thread that is good. The ONLY thing gained is "oh
>> neat, it's in git". We lose quite a bit, especially in the branch-ing
>> department.
>>
>> It seems like this is a "solution" that's looking for a problem to
>> happen. As far as I know, working with svn isn't a big deal and isn't
>> a problem.
>
> The biggest advantage of a git-based approach is that imho it becomes
> much easier to - as an end user - maintain forks of packages.
> you could just have a clone with your own packages and merge in changes
> as ABS gets updated.
> with the current ABS, i always need to manually apply & commit the
> changes from abs into my customized packages.

While that may be true, you're talking about complicating the system
for developers and backend tools so that users can maintain their own
"forks" of PKGBUILDs.

Considering a "package" is just a dir with 1-5 files in it, it's not
THAT big of a deal to handle that manually.

Additionally, "git svn fetch" will cover this use case just fine.