[arch-general] Bad Idea?

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Tue Mar 9 23:31:04 CET 2010

On 03/09/2010 05:23 PM, Carlos Mennens wrote:
> Is it a bad idea to install nVidia display drivers manually by
> downloading them from nvidia.com and installing it by hand...or should
> I use 'Pacman'? I read that I could mess up my system by manually
> installing packages and should always use Pacman.
>
> Thoughts / Suggestions?
>
> -Carlos

Don't you want to be assured that the version of nvidia on your machine
*works* with the rest of the Arch packages you have installed?  Don't
you want to find out automatically when there's bug fixes or new
versions of the nvidia drivers available?  Or automatically get rebuilds
of the driver when needed due to other packages that have been upgraded
(such as the kernel)?

In other words, I would think that you absolutely would *not* want to
download and install the drivers manually.  (I'm not even clear why you
think it would be a good idea?)

So yes, by all means:

$ pacman -S nvidia nvidia-utils

DR