[arch-general] imap-login: Fatal: Dovecot version mismatch - Is this a bug, or do I just override with ignore?

Florian Pritz bluewind at server-speed.net
Wed Mar 10 13:13:43 CET 2010

On 10.03.2010 05:53, David C. Rankin wrote:
> Guys,
>
> 	I'm finishing the mail server setup and I've run into a problem with dovecot.
> It looks like one part of dovecot doesn't match the other??? Here is what
> everything log says:
>
> Mar  9 22:48:37 nirvana dovecot: imap-login: Fatal: Dovecot version mismatch:
> Master is v1.2.10, login is v1.2.11 (if you don't care, set version_ignore=yes)
> Mar  9 22:48:37 nirvana dovecot: imap-login: Fatal: Dovecot version mismatch:
> Master is v1.2.10, login is v1.2.11 (if you don't care, set version_ignore=yes)
> Mar  9 22:48:52 nirvana dovecot: dovecot: Killed with signal 15 (by pid=18351
> uid=0 code=kill)
> Mar  9 22:48:54 nirvana dovecot: Dovecot v1.2.11 starting up (core dumps disabled)
>
> 	I just have the standard repositories enabled (no testing or community-testing)
> for this box. Is there a package out of place that I need to report, or is it
> just intended that we use 'version_ignore=yes' ?

If you update dovecot you have to restart the running master daemon
which is still the old one (/etc/rc.d/dovecot restart) otherwise it will
try to run newer subprocesses when someone logs in and that fails
without the mentioned config option. Restarting is better though because
you could run into incompatibilities.
It's a feature, not a bug.

--
Florian Pritz -- {flo,bluewind}@server-speed.net