[arch-general] Bad attitude in flyspray again!

Heiko Baums lists at baums-on-web.de
Wed Mar 10 16:42:18 CET 2010

Hi devs,

I just wanted to ask if it will become common practise to close bug
reports at once as "Works for me" and to imply the reporter that he
hasn't done his "homework" like searching the forums and using "wrong"
software and that the reported bug is just a configuration issue?

Meanwhile this happened twice - both bug reports have been assigned to
the same developer as far as I remember, the first one was assigned to
a second developer, too.

And in the first case it has been assured, that this was indeed an
upstream bug, after I sent a reopening request. The reopening request
of the second bug was just denied even if it's also most likely a bug.
I just don't know if it's an upstream or a downstream bug, so I
reported it first downstream.

In my eyes this is a real bad attitude and just ignorant against the
users or the bug reporters. And this really doesn't help keeping a
distro running. I'm used a much friendlier and more helpful attitude on
other bug trackers (upstream as well as downstream).

This is definitely not concerning all devs, but such an attitude
shouldn't become common practise. Otherwise it would be better to leave
Arch Linux what I would regret and avoid because Arch Linux is one of
the best distros.

If a dev doesn't have time enough or doesn't feel like dealing with a
bug report then he should think about resigning being a dev in my sight.

It's also not very friendly but ok, if the reporter is asked in a
comment - without closing the bug - if he has searched the forums or if
he has done this or that configuration. Of course it can happen that a
bug report is invalid. Nobody is omniscient and sometimes it can
happen that somebody doesn't occur every possible configuration, but I
guess in most cases it can be assumed that the reporter has done
everything he can do to rule out such configuration issues before
reporting the bug. And especially if something has worked with the
previous version and the problem occurs only after an update without
changing the configuration or having a .pacnew file, a hint in the
post_install or in the news it can be assumed that this is a bug.

And I'm willing to help searching for the reason for a bug, fixing and
testing as far as I can.

It would be nice if bug reports will be taken seriously in the future.

Greetings,
Heiko