[arch-general] A suggestion for the devs regarding rebuilds

clemens fischer ino-news at spotteswoode.dnsalias.org
Wed Mar 10 21:03:21 CET 2010

fons at ... wrote:

> But then doing a full system upgrade (as advised on this list)
> completely locked up the machine - frozen screen, dead capslock led
> etc. No other choice but a power cycle, broken filesystems, and hours
> of work repairing them and putting bits and pieces back in place.
> I still have a about 700 files in lost+found, most of them seem *.pyc
> and man pages, so probably no big losses.

"lost+found" is a filesystem thing:  it's the place where files are put
that cannot be linked up eg. in the fsck phase.

Other than that:  if you need old libs or headers, you will have to save
them some place, the arch goods will not help you with this.

Ironically, if pacman was such a tidy package manager and devs were so
keen to keep things that way, why is there ever any output in "pacman
-Qdt"?

clemens