[arch-general] A suggestion for the devs regarding rebuilds

Xavier Chantry chantry.xavier at gmail.com
Thu Mar 11 01:13:23 CET 2010

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 11:45 PM, Allan McRae <allan at archlinux.org> wrote:

> Not really...
>
> The problem is that pacman does not clean up packages installed as a
> dependency for a package that are no longer needed due to an update which
> removed that dep.

And by the way, we cannot be 100% sure that the 'no longer needed
dependency' is not useful in itself.
A package foo might have been installed as a dep for package bar, but
it can also have some other purposes, unknown to pacman.

I don't know if this is just a theoretical problem that has no
practical value. But well.. pacman -Qtd exists for a reason..