[arch-general] what is the procedure when your find an out-of-date package in AUR?

Burlynn Corlew Jr burlynn at gmail.com
Thu Mar 11 18:50:00 CET 2010

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 11:44 AM, Xavier Chantry
<chantry.xavier at gmail.com>wrote:

> 2010/3/11 David C. Rankin <drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com>:
> > On 03/11/2010 09:50 AM, Ng Oon-Ee wrote:
> >> If all else fails, blame Allan. Oh, and tell the maintainer what failed.
> >>

> > Gotcha!
> >
> >        I just posted the new PKGBUILD files as 'comments' to the AUR
> package and sent
> > Chris (the maintainer) an email telling him what I'd done. Hopefully he
> can move
> > cut and paste the new package versions and md5sums into the official
> PKGBUILD
> > files and remove the out-of-date flag.
> >
> >        I figured I'd give it another week before I started blaming Allan
> :p
> >

> You should probably have done the opposite :
> - in AUR comments, just quickly state what needs to be changed / fixed
> - in the email , include the proper attachments
>
> Pasting a pkgbuild in aur comments is ugly, takes a lot of space and
> usually screws up the formatting enough to make it unusable in a very
> confusing way.

Sometimes pasting the pkgbuild in comments is the only solution, especially
with lazy maintainers. :/ I've used a share posted that way, and a copy and
paste seemed to work fine. Not that it will always work though, I still
agree its bad practice, but short of another solution it is necessary at
times.