[arch-general] pdftk - almost build but died - need help figuring out if I can find a work-around

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Fri Mar 12 09:30:01 CET 2010

Guys,

	I need pdftk for a script I use that does fax processing. I ran into this
problem 6-7 months ago, but still had another server with pdftk on it so it
wasn't critical. Now, I need to solve it.

	Currently pdftk in AUR is out of date due to it a dependency of gcc-gcj
requiring it to be built against gcc-4.3. The building gcc-4.3 and then gcc-gcj
part of the pdftk build goes fine (takes forever, but goes fine). The build
seems to crater on a java-lib issue. Here is the actual error with a few lines
of context:

patching file pdftk/Makefile.Base
patching file java_libs/com/lowagie/text/pdf/PdfEncryption.java
patching file java_libs/Makefile
make -C ../java_libs
make[1]: Entering directory
`/home/david/arch/pkg/bld/pdftk/src/pdftk-1.41/java_libs'
make -C "/home/david/arch/pkg/bld/pdftk/src/pdftk-1.41/java_libs/com/lowagie/text";
make[2]: Entering directory
`/home/david/arch/pkg/bld/pdftk/src/pdftk-1.41/java_libs/com/lowagie/text'
gcj -march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -w --encoding=UTF-8
--classpath="/usr/share/java/libgcj-4.3.jar:/home/david/arch/pkg/bld/pdftk/src/pdftk-1.41/java_libs"
-c Anchor.java -o Anchor.o
org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.batch.GCCMain
   at gnu.java.lang.MainThread.run(libgcj.so.9)
org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.batch.GCCMain not found in
gnu.gcj.runtime.SystemClassLoader{urls=[file:/usr/share/java/eclipse-ecj.jar],
parent=gnu.gcj.runtime.ExtensionClassLoader{urls=[], parent=null}}
   at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(libgcj.so.9)
   at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(libgcj.so.9)
   at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(libgcj.so.9)
   at gnu.java.lang.MainThread.run(libgcj.so.9)
make[2]: *** [Anchor.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory
`/home/david/arch/pkg/bld/pdftk/src/pdftk-1.41/java_libs/com/lowagie/text'
make[1]: *** [itext] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/david/arch/pkg/bld/pdftk/src/pdftk-1.41/java_libs'
make: *** [java_libs] Error 2

	The problem is I am no good at figuring out what this is telling me I need to
do to fix it. I know there was an exception thrown in thread "main"
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: ........ what I don't know is whether this is
telling me there is a javalib version mismatch or something similar and whether
this is something I might work around by loading/building some alternative java
package, etc..

	If you have any idea what is going on here, please pass along a pointer or two.
If this is just one of those areas where I'm screwed and there isn't a way
around it -- well knowing that would be helpful too. Thanks.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC