[arch-general] Security

Evangelos Foutras foutrelis at gmail.com
Fri Mar 12 11:15:01 CET 2010

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 11:49 AM, Gordon Campbell
<gordy2007 at hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am new to this list and fairly new to Arch Linux. My Question is do I need
> to install a firewall? if so which one?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Gordy

For a home computer you don't need to have a firewall installed, since
you're probably not running any services (e.g.: web, database or
e-mail server) that would listen on certain ports. Your router most
likely uses NAT [1] as well, and this means that incoming traffic
won't reach any machines inside the local network, unless you've
configured port forwarding [2].

----
[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_address_translation
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_forwarding