[arch-general] Security

fons at kokkinizita.net fons at kokkinizita.net
Fri Mar 12 11:22:15 CET 2010

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 09:49:17AM -0000, Gordon Campbell wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am new to this list and fairly new to Arch Linux. My Question is
> do I need to install a firewall? if so which one?

In Linux the actual firewall is part of the kernel, you
just need to activate and configure it. Activting it
requires the iptables package, and configuring it means
writing 'rules'.

If you run one of the fat desktops (KDE, Gnome) they will
have a GUI tool to configure iptables.

In the other case there are various tools available, see
<http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Firewalls>.

Or you could learn the iptables rules syntax and do it
manually - for the brave only but the most flexible.

Ciao,

--
FA

O tu, che porte, correndo si ?