[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] Allow comments on closed bugs?

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Sat Mar 13 23:32:20 CET 2010

On 03/12/2010 06:20 PM, Heiko Baums wrote:
> Am Sat, 13 Mar 2010 08:39:05 +1000
> schrieb Allan McRae <allan at archlinux.org>:
>
>> I really do not see the need.
>>
>> If a bug is wrongly closed -> request a reopen.
>> If you just want to confirm a bug has been fixed, there is no need...
>> we already closed the bug report.
>> If there is a "better" fix, reopen request or new bug report.
>
> And this is forcing the reporter to begging for reopening and looking
> again at the bug.
>
> Closing a bug too early can in the reporter's sight mean: "Hey! I'm the
> king and I decide if I'm willing to fix the bug. And if I don't want
> to, then you don't have to say anything. Your subject to my merci."
>
> Of course this is a bit exaggerated and of course in most cases the
> developer doesn't mean it, but this is how the reporter can easily
> understand it. And this can lead to such misunderstandings and to angry
> reactions.
>
> Don't see this only from your (the developer's) point of view. Try to
> see it from the reporter's point of view.
>
> Greetings,
> Heiko

This is currently the state at opensuse and KDE and is a primary reason for all
the new Arch users and all the new users of xfce, fluxbox and gnome.

We are all in this together. One of the things that makes a distro great in the
eyes of the user is reasonably friendly and open devs. That is one thing I liked
about Arch. It is worth continuing.

If a user is doing something that is annoying to the developers, and ounce of
explanation can go a long way. If for example some user has repeatedly attempted
to reopen a bug for improper reasons, then a kind, but firm, explanation can do
wonders to accomplish the goals for all involved. Something like:

"The addition of patch xyz has be discussed among the team and it has been
decided against for a,b,c reason. We have your request and if it provides an
advantage in the future, it may be incorporated. Currently, you are welcome to
incorporate it in you system through the ABS or AUR system."

Many times the dev/user interactions seem hostile or combative when all the user
is doing is to try and help make Arch better. Taking an extra few seconds to
give enough of an explanation as to why a decision was made the way it was can
eliminate 95% of any misunderstanding. (the other 5% are just nuts who will
never be made happy :-)

Arch has a great thing going and from what I can tell is headed in the right
direction, we should all work hard to keep it going in the same direction.
Maintaining a positive user/dev relationship of trust and respect is a big part
of that.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC