[arch-general] Arch is ummnn different: my 1st installation: tried to install xfce...OOPS!

Linas linas_fi at ymail.com
Mon Mar 15 18:48:33 CET 2010

Peter Cannon wrote:
>> pacman -Si xfce|less
>>
>> and looked for a package that might get me to a minimal desktop I could work with.
>> I thought maybe xfdesktop...
>>
>> pacman -S xfdesktop
>>
> Why have you done this? If you look at the 'man' page you will see
> http://linux.die.net/man/1/xfdesktop
>
> xfdesktop manages the desktop itself in the Xfce 4 Desktop Environment.
>
> You should have done pacman -S xfce4
>
> By the sound of it you've only installed part of the desktop environment.

Looks like xfdesktop packages doesn't specify some of its dependancies
(which is probably
provided in the xfce4 group).

http://www.archlinux.org/packages/?q=xfce4 should also include that
there's a group with that name.
I don't think it was a bad expectation from his part, looking at pacman
-Ss xfce output. And even then,
it could have worked, would xfdesktop have taken as dependancies the
whole desktop.