[arch-general] on rolling release / reinstallation

Robert Howard rjh0507 at ecu.edu
Wed Mar 17 02:07:35 CET 2010

I've done the ill fated -Syu right before a project deadline. Something in
the update broke mdraid and my system wouldn't boot until I booted from
livecd to redo the -Syu. I think maybe my mirror was syncing when I was
updating and my packages were mismatched.

Never update when facing a deadline.

On Mar 16, 2010 8:10 PM, "Isaac Dupree" <ml at isaac.cedarswampstudios.org>
wrote:

On 03/16/10 14:12, David Rosenstrauch wrote:

> On 03/16/2010 01:58 PM, Thayer Williams wrote:
>
>> Welcome aboard and glad you're getting things sorted out. Once you
>> have used a rolling release distro, everything else just seems silly.
>> Reinstall every six months? No thanks!

I enjoyed the 6-month reinstalls... for a while. They reminded me how my
system was set up ; to make backups ; etc.

 When I hear about issues people run into when upgrading to, say, the
> latest version of Ubuntu, my thinking is usually some combination of:
>
> 1) "What's an OS upgrade?"
>
> 2) "What's an OS version?"

true. and on the occasion that Ubuntu breaks something in a stable upgrade,
it's awful (although I'm not sure this ever actually happened to me).

I still reckon it's useful to reinstall Arch every few years, as "/" gets
cluttered with old layouts, .pacnew files, miscellaneous stuff from
de-installed packages, packages that are accidentally still installed due to
upgrade sequences or forgetfulness, enabled daemons that are no longer part
of the mainstream Linux stack (e.g. I hear HAL may be slowly going out of
fashion), new advice in the Official Install Guide that you haven't checked
in ages, new filesystem formats (or at least, making a new filesystem
eliminates any fragmentation in the old one), decaying personal knowledge
about how Linux works (due to complacency, if it's all still working, or
just not having an all-in-one chance to get a "big picture")...

Just don't delete your old "/" until a while after the new one is working,
if you can manage it.

 3) "If you were running Arch, you wouldn't be running into so many bugs
> on upgrade ... because you'd never wind up upgrading so many packages
> all at the same time."

yes and no. Workarounds are easier, but need to be done more often than once
every six months.  It was nice to be able to do upgrades during my
school-vacation-time rather than when I have a paper due shortly (there's
ALWAYS a paper due, or an e-mail to get back to, at my college..)

 4) "You're still running into *that* bug? That was fixed in Arch
> *months* ago!"

:)

-Isaac