[arch-general] HAL depreciation

Nilesh Govindarajan lists at itech7.com
Wed Mar 17 03:38:22 CET 2010

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 7:50 AM, Ty John <ty-ml at eye-of-odin.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 21:08:42 -0500
> "Jeffrey Lynn Parke Jr." <jeffrey.parke at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> the usb mice don't work without hal, or do they now. They didn't used
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 9:06 PM, Damjan Georgievski
>> <gdamjan at gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>> > Does anyone know how much of HAL is needed in ArchLinux these days?
>> > I'm asking because I've learned that both udev and HAL configure the
>> > keymap of input devices nowdays and
>> > I wonder what other former HAL features are already implemented in
>> > udev.
>> >
>> > --
>> > damjan
>> >

> USB mice have worked without hal for a long time. It's just hotplugging
> that won't work.

Well, I recently copied /etc/group.pacnew to /etc/group which didn't
have the hal and gdm groups.
HAL didn't start, and when I started KDE (xinit startkde) or GDM or
KDM, neither keyboard nor mouse worked. After adding hal group, it
worked fine, since HAL started succesfully.

--
Nilesh Govindarajan
Site & Server Administrator