[arch-general] Does anybody still have kde3 running? libpng problems preventing apps from running?

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Thu Mar 18 04:09:59 CET 2010

On 03/17/2010 09:51 PM, David C. Rankin wrote:
> On 03/03/2010 05:20 PM, Giovanni Scafora wrote:
>
> Hopefull back on topic...
>
> 	I have gotten kde3 working on my new server (mostly). Currently, I simply
> soft-linked libjpeg.so.62 and libpng12.so and libpng12.so.0 to the current libs
> which was enough to get kde3 going. There are still major problems (no
> background setting capability - colors work), no icons (except for fusion-icon
> and a few others). I think the whole problem is that kde3 needs to be built
> against all the current libraries - CAN I DO THAT??
>
> 	I have downloaded the kde3 3.5.10 source from kde.org and I have downloaded the
> qt-3.3.8 X11-qt-3.3.8 sources from trolltech. The build instructions seem
> doable. My question to the smart guys on the list is:
>
> DO I HAVE A CHANCE IN HELL of being able to compile it against the current Arch?
>
> 	This I ask to save considerable time if the venture is fruitless.

Also, kde3 kate works, but you get a lot of warnings dumped to console. Does
anyone know the what the problem causing the following messages is:

kate: WARNING: Pixmap not found for mimetype text/plain
kate: WARNING: Pixmap not found for mimetype application/x-sharedlib

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC