[arch-general] fdisk vs cfdisk... And is my drive borked or what?

Mauro Santos registo.mailling at gmail.com
Thu Mar 18 12:52:15 CET 2010

On 03/18/2010 09:10 AM, Joe(theWordy)Philbrook wrote:

> 0xf, 5, Who cares which it's called? As long as it contains the logical
> partitions...  But the ending sector thing will bug me if I don't fix it.
> So for my piece of mind I'm gonna have to do something...

Gparted (which is just a frontend for parted) may be able to resize your
extended partition without touching any of the logical partitions inside
(you may need to delete your last partition first though, it all depends
on what alignment gparted will try to use), however I try not to use
gparted because once it wrecked havoc during a resize operation, because
of that and because I have a big enough spare disk, I always do a full
backup before any major partition changes.

Your primary partitions are safe but the logical ones can just vanish if
things go wrong. I guess that if you take note of the start and end
sectors for all partitions you can recreate the layout if anything goes
wrong (I have never tried it though so I can't say how well that will work).