[arch-general] Does anybody still have kde3 running? libpng problems preventing apps from running?

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Thu Mar 18 16:52:48 CET 2010

On 03/17/2010 10:51 PM, David C. Rankin wrote:
> Hopefull back on topic...
>
> 	I have gotten kde3 working on my new server (mostly). Currently, I simply
> soft-linked libjpeg.so.62 and libpng12.so and libpng12.so.0 to the current libs
> which was enough to get kde3 going. There are still major problems (no
> background setting capability - colors work), no icons (except for fusion-icon
> and a few others). I think the whole problem is that kde3 needs to be built
> against all the current libraries - CAN I DO THAT??
>
> 	I have downloaded the kde3 3.5.10 source from kde.org and I have downloaded the
> qt-3.3.8 X11-qt-3.3.8 sources from trolltech. The build instructions seem
> doable. My question to the smart guys on the list is:
>
> DO I HAVE A CHANCE IN HELL of being able to compile it against the current Arch?
>
> 	This I ask to save considerable time if the venture is fruitless.

Doubtful.  I actually experimented a while back with being the
maintainer for kde3 packages in the AUR (using the last known old Arch
KDE3.5 PKGBUILD's), but I wasn't able to build one of the core packages
(either kdebase or kdelibs - can't remember which).  I don't remember
off the top of my head what the build problem was though.  Latest info I
have on cause is here:
http://chakra-project.org/bbs/viewtopic.php?id=1097&p=2

If you're really interested in pursuing this, I would try digging up the
old PKGBUILDs for kdebase and kdelibs and try building them.  If you
succeed, then you've probably got a good chance of succeeding at the
whole effort.

But, IMO - as I've said before - I think you should just give up on KDE3
already.

DR