[arch-general] DVD's won't read

Guus Snijders gsnijders at gmail.com
Fri Mar 19 21:27:04 CET 2010

On 19-03-10 06:28, Nilesh Govindarajan wrote:

> Okay _some_ success after converting it to SATA using IDE<=>SATA
> chip. It now reads DVD's inside the OS too.
>
> But it doesn't read either CDs or DVDs from the RW group. This is
> drive failure or I seriously need an 80 pin cable ?

I used to tell people that it couldn't hurt to use the better quality
(80 wire) cables, but i would not be suprised if those are neccesary
with current drives. Are the 40-wires types even still available?

Getting a new 80-wire (P)ATA cable shouldn't cost more than a few bucks,
so maybe that is an option?

Also, does dmesg tell you anything when trying to read a DVD?

mvg,
    Guus