[arch-general] DVD's won't read

Mauro Santos registo.mailling at gmail.com
Fri Mar 19 23:27:56 CET 2010

On 03/19/2010 09:52 PM, Felipe Tanus wrote:
> Finally, I ask again: Does someone has at least a thought about
> why a 40-wired cable works in the boot of the computer but not in the OS,
> and a 80-wired cable could fix the issue?

Maybe because the bios sets some conservative settings and the latest
kernel then overrides them with more aggressive (faster) settings.

Maybe you have a drive that supports ata66 (or claims to support), the
kernel then tries to set things to work at that speed but the cable
can't handle it.

Maybe you can try to force a slower speed in the bios or try to tell the
libata module to force a slower speed.
Check the output of 'modinfo libata' and go from there.

However I guess that if the problem is the cable you should see lots of
errors on the output of dmesg when trying to read a cd or dvd.