[arch-general] I'm having a brain far^Hilure... I can't find the XFCE control

Joe(theWordy)Philbrook jtwdyp at ttlc.net
Sat Mar 20 06:48:09 CET 2010

It would appear that on Mar 19, Heiko Baums did say:

> Am Fri, 19 Mar 2010 14:50:36 -0400
> schrieb "Joe(theWordy)Philbrook" <jtwdyp at ttlc.net>:
> >
> > could somebody give me a clue how to disable them? Thanks!
>
> Right click onto the desktop. Then desktop settings -> Icons or Symbols
> (I don't know how it's called in the English version).

OK I tried that it got me to the same place as:

PopupMenu->settings->desktop->icons

Which is where I turned off the other icon types. this lists only 4 choices
for:
[ ] Filesystem
[ ] Trash
[ ] Removable Devices

Unchecking the first three each removed one icon. The last would only come
in to play if I plugged in a removable device such as a usb drive...

I've unchecked ALL of them but there are still 12 icons sitting there. Nine
of which are marked with a truncated form of the 9 labels found in /dev/disk/by-label
I'm not sure what the other three are... But thanks for the suggestion, it
is after all where the control "should" be...

Hmmnnn Wait a minute!

I just looked into the directory ~/Desktop and found 12 symlinks to some
entries from my newly installed Enlightenment desktop... But I installed
XFCE first. And I distinctly remember scowling at those icons BEFORE I
installed Enlightenment {where they hide the setting to NOT display such
icons in the filemanager setups of all places...} Still since more than one
Desktop environment may put things in ~/Desktop, there should be a setting
somewhere to turn off displaying them. I just can't find it. <Sigh> I
suppose I could use a brute force kludge to get them off the desktop.

There would be no point in removing the Desktop directory itself as it would
just get automatically recreated. But I could delete the symlinks from it and
then "chmod 000 ~/Desktop" which should stop anything but a root process from
recreating them. But I have no idea if some desktop process will react
poorly to not being able to use the Desktop directory.

Yup, that did it! Had to restart xfce before they went away. But at least
they are gone from my desktop...