[arch-general] DVD's won't read

Felipe Tanus fotanus at gmail.com
Sun Mar 21 04:18:39 CET 2010

On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 6:27 PM, Mauro Santos <registo.mailling at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 03/19/2010 09:52 PM, Felipe Tanus wrote:
> > Finally, I ask again: Does someone has at least a thought about
> > why a 40-wired cable works in the boot of the computer but not in the OS,
> > and a 80-wired cable could fix the issue?
>
> Maybe because the bios sets some conservative settings and the latest
> kernel then overrides them with more aggressive (faster) settings.
>
> Maybe you have a drive that supports ata66 (or claims to support), the
> kernel then tries to set things to work at that speed but the cable
> can't handle it.
>
> Maybe you can try to force a slower speed in the bios or try to tell the
> libata module to force a slower speed.
> Check the output of 'modinfo libata' and go from there.
>
> However I guess that if the problem is the cable you should see lots of
> errors on the output of dmesg when trying to read a cd or dvd.

Mauro,
      Thank you. That was just the kind of answer that I was waiting to
hear. It really clarified the problem for me.

--
Felipe de Oliveira Tanus
E-mail: fotanus at gmail.com
Blog: http://www.itlife.com.br
Site: http://www.inf.ufrgs.br/~fotanus/
-----
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." -
Gandalf