[arch-general] I'm having a brain far^Hilure... I can't find the XFCE control

Heiko Baums lists at baums-on-web.de
Sun Mar 21 15:07:41 CET 2010

Am Sun, 21 Mar 2010 09:47:23 -0400
schrieb "Joe(theWordy)Philbrook" <jtwdyp at ttlc.net>:

> Is XFCE stable? Does it only process config changes at certain times
> of day? What could possibly account for it taking hours ( actually
> several reboots PLUS hours since I first made that desktop setting
> say "None".) for it to start respecting the setting????

Xfce is stable.

Changes at the .desktop files in /usr/share/applications (the menu) are
processed only after Xfce is restarted or immediately by running
`update-desktop-database` as root. I think they are also processed
without restarting Xfce once in a while. I don't know if this also
applies to the .desktop files in ~/Desktop, but I think so.

Heiko