[arch-general] Kernel LTS won't boot properly

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Wed Mar 24 07:51:01 CET 2010

On 03/24/2010 12:23 AM, Nilesh Govindarajan wrote:

>> Oh YES - that was implied in the reinstall -- sorry. Give it a go. I
>> don't know
>> why the checksums don't catch this type of corruption, but I had to
>> re-download
>> and then install with 'pacman -U<pkgName>'. Hopefully, the 4th time
>> will be a
>> charm.
>>

> I redownloaded it, re mkinitcpio, still the problem persists.
>
> Is there any way to disable the change of screen font after udev ?
>
> Any guesses ? Or re-download from another mirror ?

Nilesh,

	If you have re-downloaded and reinstalled, then I think you may have stumbled
across a bug regarding your chipset and the framebuffer switch that takes place.
That is way beyond me, but there are others here that can help. Before opening a
ticket on it, do a quick wiki search on your gpu chipset and also take a look at
the LTS page to see if there are any notes there. If not, open a ticket with
Arch. That will probably be the fastest way to get this resolved.

	What is your hardware setup? Give us the motherboard chipset, CPU and GPU
chipset info, and that will help others here help you. Also, if you get any log
info on the boot process up to the time it hangs, that is important. I guess the
way to check for log info would be to boot -- let it fail -- then boot with the
install media and then mount your partition containing /var (usually /) and
check /var/log under the mount-point and see if anything was captured. I don't
know for sure, but it seems like logging would have been enabled well before
Udev is started.

	Good luck.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.