[arch-general] MySQL Starts But Fails to Restart

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Wed Mar 24 08:39:50 CET 2010

When you stop MySQL, the kill command completes immediately, while MySQL
is still doing shutdown tasks to make sure the database is in a
consistent state. As MySQL is still running when you try to start it, it
will fail to do so.
There's 2 ways to fix this:
- use mysqladmin shutdown, needs a user in the database with process
privileges, this is the way used by debian
- implement a loop that waits for MySQL to shutdown after executing the
kill command. This is what the upstream MySQL start/stop script does.