[arch-general] Dirty fonts in Chromium

Denis Kobozev d.v.kobozev at gmail.com
Fri Mar 26 20:56:47 CET 2010

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 1:39 PM, Nilesh Govindarajan <lists at itech7.com> wrote:
> anti-aliasing was disabled, enabled to see what it does (:?)

Most fonts, except for pixel fonts and ttf-ms-fonts, don't work well
without anti-aliasing - they will look dirty or crooked. ttf-ms-fonts
are a special case because they actually include pixel versions for
small font sizes.

I'm one of those people who like pixel fonts - I think that pixels on
modern monitors are still too big for anti-aliasing to work well. To
me, anti-aliasing makes fonts too blurry. So I'm either using pixel
fonts such as Dina or Terminus, or one of ttf-ms-fonts in my apps and
have anti-aliasing turned off for small font sizes. But occasionally I
come across a site that specifically uses, say, DejaVu Sans. Without
anti-aliasing DejaVu Sans looks to me exactly like you described -
dirty.

Denis.