[arch-general] /etc/rc.local: "chown user: /dev/sda10" /etc/fstab: "defaults, owner, noauto"

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Mon Mar 29 15:10:56 CEST 2010

Am 29.03.2010 15:01, schrieb Joe(theWordy)Philbrook:
> I was pleased to note that Arch evidently does think a rc.local is an
> appropriate place for local initialization stuff to happen. However it's
> come to my attention that about 5 out of the last 25 times I've booted Arch
> only 2 of the 3 partitions 'chown'ed in my /root/bin/fix_dev script can be
> mounted by my user account. (unless I use root account to manualy rerun
> the /root/bin script...)
>
> On the occasions when a user script's attempt to mount the 3rd such partition
> fails {with an error message telling me that only root can do that} the other
> two such partitions mount just fine.

USB devices are detected asynchronously (other too, possibly). The
device node may be (re)created after rc.local has finished.

> Is there something special I need to do to get Arch to *_consistently_* respect
> all three chown commands???

man udev

I am thinking about something like:
SUBSYSTEM=="block", ENV{ID_FS_UUID}=="your_uuid", OWNER="your_user"
in a late udev rule file (say, /etc/udev/rules.d/99-local-disk.rules).