[arch-general] Getting X running on new install

Alain Muls alain.muls at telenet.be
Tue Mar 30 17:40:38 CEST 2010

Hi All,

I am using Ubuntu since 2005 and I like it. The only problem is that each 6
month I am spending some time to update. I have for that 2 root partitions
available.

I heard about Arch Linux and its rolling release and decided to try it out.

The base install went fine and I have a running core system.

So I decided to tackle the X server which under Ubuntu uses the nvidia
proprietary driver.

I installed
pacman -S nvidia
nvidia-config

and gave startx from my user account a try. No luck, the message was cannot
load module nvidia.

Then I used lshw and the card is loisted as
G96 [GeForce 9600 GT]
both under Ubuntu and Arch Linux.

I uninstalled the nvidia and installed
pacman -S nvidia-96xx
nvidia-config

and again no luck.

How can I get this card up and running with full hw support as under Ubuntu?

Tx/Alain