[arch-general] Problem mounting shares with latest smbclient-3.5.0-2

Nigel Henry cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr
Wed Mar 31 18:17:43 CEST 2010

On Tuesday 30 March 2010 07:35, Tobias Powalowski wrote:
> Am Montag 29 März 2010 schrieb Nigel Henry:
> > I have smbclient-3.5.0-2, and did the suggested chmod +s on
> > /sbin/mount.cifs, and /sbin/umount.cifs. The UID, and GID bits are now
> > set on both, but I still can't mount shares from KDEmod3's smb4k (version
> > 0.9.9).
> >
> > The error message says "/sbin/mount.cifs: permission denied: no match
> > found for /home/djmons/smb4k/GATEWAY/djmons found in /etc/fstab".
> >
> > Now I don't believe I need an entry in /etc/fstab because on my Debian
> > lenny install an entry is created in /etc/mtab when the share is mounted,
> > and removed when unmounted.
> >
> > I can't revert back to my earlier version of smbclient (version 3.3.7-1),
> > as I only recently installed the samba package (samba-3.5.0-2), and have
> > no version to match my earlier version of the smbclient. are earlier
> > package versions still kept somewhere?
> >
> > I do have more than one user set up on this Archlinux install. Would that
> > have anything to do with why the chmod +s isn't doing it's job properly?
> > idiotboy:x:1002:
> > djmons:x:1003:
> >
> > Any suggestions as how to resolve the problem.
> >
> > Nigel.
>
> This is can be fixed with recompiling and changing one file, i don't
> include it in standard samba because your application needs to be fixed and
> not samba. Look at the bugtracker and search for closed samba bug reports
> there you will find the workaround.
>
> greetings
> tpowa

Hi.

I tried the procedure suggested in bug FS#18548, if that was the correct bug
report (couldn't find any others), but there was no change to the problem I
have mounting shares with kdemod3's smb4k.

I found an old closed bug report for smb4k, and a link to the smb4k
troubleshooter pages. there was a suggestion to use the superuser option,
with a reference to /etc/sudoers, which I did not have installed, and no
doubt explains why smb4k's superuser options page is greyed out. Installed
sudo package, but no change to the greyed out page in smb4k. I probably
needed to reinstall smb4k, which would then have picked up the existance
of /etc/sudoers, but didn't at the time. I searched instead for an older
matched pair of samba, and smbclient, and found version 3.4.5-1.1-i686 on the
mirror below.
http://schlunix.org/archlinux/extra/os/i686/

Installed those which amongst other packages, I needed to remove kdemod3's
smb4k, so as to get around a dependency hell. With the old samba, smbclient,
and an earlier version of tdb installed, I reinstalled kdemod3's smb4k, and
clicked on the desktop icon for it, then went to the superuser page, and the
options were no longer greyed out. clicked on mount and unmount shares as
superuser, and applied, which opened a password box. Entered my root
password, and OK'd out of the config pages.

Now I honestly did not expect this to work, as I've already been working on
samba problems (first time samba user) on various distros (FC2, Kubuntu
Intrepid, Debian Lenny, and Arch) for about 2 weeks, but when I tried
mounting the shares, they mounted, which brightened up my day, and samba is
working ok on all 4 distros now in both directions.

I havn't poked around with /etc/sudoers, as I'm happy to use su on the
terminal, but I saw the following lines had been added by smb4k.

# Entries for Smb4K users.
# Generated by Smb4K. Please do not modify!
User_Alias      SMB4KUSERS = djmons
Defaults:SMB4KUSERS     env_keep += "PASSWD USER"
SMB4KUSERS      myhost = NOPASSWD: /opt/kde/bin/smb4k_kill
SMB4KUSERS      myhost = NOPASSWD: /opt/kde/bin/smb4k_umount
SMB4KUSERS      myhost = NOPASSWD: /opt/kde/bin/smb4k_mount
# End of Smb4K user entries.

The problem may have been resolved by simply installing sudo, and reinstalling
smb4k, without installing old samba, and smbclient packages, but I don't want
to go through upgrading them again, just to find out if smb4k still mounts
the shares ok.

Thanks for your reply Tobias.

Nigel.